According to ABC News, scientists say the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) should take warnings about the stop-smoking drug Chantix up a notch, citing data showing that the drug increases suicidal behavior and depression far more than other drugs and methods designed to help smokers quit.
Chantix, also called varenicline, has been hotly debated since 2007, when experts first raised questions about the long-term safety of the drug and its connection to cardiovascular problems and vision lapses. Since then, studies have reported that patients taking Chantix are at increased risk of depression and suicidal thoughts. Anecdotally, patients report wild dreams, inexplicable violent behavior and other psychological disturbances while on the drug.
In 2009, the FDA placed a "black box" warning label on Chantix and another drug, Zyban, cautioning doctors and patients about the risk of depression, hostility and suicidal thoughts.
But some researchers say these warnings don't go far enough. On November 3, 2011, a study published in the journal PLOS ONE continued to sound the alarm against Chantix and urged the FDA to update Chantix's warning label, saying the psychological risks of the drug exceed those of nicotine replacement drugs or even its competitor, Zyban.
Dr. Curt Furberg, a professor of public health sciences at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and one of the study's authors, said people trying to kick their tobacco habit generally are at higher risk for psychological symptoms, but Chantix makes them far worse.
For more information, log onto:
Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of disease, disability and death in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cigarette smoking results in more than 480,000 premature deaths in the United States each year—about 1 in every 5 U.S. deaths—and an additional 16 million people suffer with a serious illness caused by smoking. In fact, for every one person who dies from smoking, about 30 more suffer from at least one serious tobacco-related illness.
Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) are battery-powered devices that deliver nicotine without any combustion or smoke. These devices have generated much publicity among the smoking-cessation community and support from dedicated users; however, little is known about the efficacy of the device as a smoking-cessation tool.
The primary finding of an online survey was that the 6-month point prevalence of smoking abstinence among the e-cigarette users in the survey sample was 31.0% (95% CI=24.8%, 37.2%). A large percentage of respondents reported a reduction in the number of cigarettes they smoked (66.8%) and almost half reported abstinence from smoking for a period of time (48.8%). Those respondents using e-cigarettes more than 20 times per day had a quit rate of 70.0%. Of respondents who were not smoking at 6 months, 34.3% were not using e-cigarettes or any nicotine-containing products at the time.
To see some fascinating and interesting clips regarding the truth about how one can control and get rid of their smoking habits, one can easily log onto:
The Best Natural Method to Stop Smoking called 14AndOut is here:
Watch FREE preview trailer here: http://programs.naturalnews.com/14AndOut__TV.htm
Hear what people are saying about 14AndOut: (real testimonials!)
- "The best description of your program is: The BEST one out there that actually works." - Azin 6/16/2014
- "Awesome program, I used tobacco for 10 years and was able to quit with your help. I greatly appreciate your service and recommend it to everyone. I hope for more people to use your program and turn this world around! Sincerely, Todd"
- "I bought it for educational purposes for a school district. The only message anyone ever hears is the patch and chantix. So, I felt it was my duty to inform of other methods without side effects. One thing to say ... glad you put together the materials, well done." - Julie
- "Hi, I'm doing great ! Thank you. Yes I have quit smoking and feel pretty darn good about it !! I did watch the whole video, but did not do the hands on activities. I had already started a nutritional program including juicing and trying to go 100% organic. The best thing about 14AndOut was the knowledge it provided me with. That in turn completely changed my mind on how I felt about smoking and gave me the power to quit. Thanks a million!" Cathy
- We have purchased and watched your 14andout video, and purchased the mucuna supplement. Love your video, SO informative! Just want to be done with the whole cigarette thing. (Your video grossed me out - I can't believe we put that nasty stuff in our bodies) - Thank you for your time in advance." - Scott & Jennifer
- "Thanks for making such a great course. It was presented in such a way that is really easy for me to digest and the information definitely resonated with me. It is the missing link in my knowledge about smoking and how to quit and explains why I have failed in the past." - Brendan
- "This instructional video is fantastic. I tried e-cigs and the patch and kept going back to smoking. Give this a shot! I smoked a pack a day for 15 years and quit after watching this." - anonymous
- "Sean, I AM doing very well. I am also no longer a smoker!! I took an evening to myself to watch the video and go over the packet. I had one cigarette after the video because my boyfriend upset me. It was the worst and last cigarette I will ever smoke! I taped a few of the handouts to my bathroom mirror to keep me motivated to quit. The picture of the lungs really puts things into perspective.. The first 3-4 days, I was one irritable young lady! But I got through it and will NEVER go back. I have been a non-smoker for 6 weeks now and I feel great. I now go to the gym regularly and eat healthier. You're video changed my life! I am trying to help other people quit and change their lives as well. Three positive things about 14AndOut: 1) This program was made from the heart to help others change their lives for the better. 2) If you believe in yourself you can become an non-smoker with this program! 3) 14AndOut changed my life completely and I've never been so happy and stress free. I can not thank you enough Sean, you have changed my life forever. I appreciate what you do everyday for others, it melts my heart. Sincerely, Erica"
- Hey Sean! My name is Lori. I've tried every smoking cessation program probably known to man and still haven't quit unfortunately. Mike Adams recommended it so I tried it. I will say that it's the most informative program I've seen yet, and since about April I've been off the pesticide ridden tobacco. To me it's a great accomplishment, and since the natural stuff is an eyeopener to what the yucky stuff really is, I think it won't be long now. Yours is the best program hands down. I've been informing others on the truth you provide as well ... Thank you so much, Lori
- I learned more in 60 minutes than I ever thought I would. Itï¿½s easy to see how much hard work and careful consideration went into this program.ï¿½ ï¿½ Dr. Bonnie Rose; Naturopath/Orthomolecular Medicine
- "Thank you for helping me free myself from that awful habit! - Donna M: 35 year "ex" smoker!"